A self-centering vise is a workholding device that automatically adjusts the workpiece to center, improving machining precision and repeatability. Self-centering vises can be used with horizontal or vertical machinery and are especially beneficial for milling, drilling and finishing applications that require high levels of accuracy. Benefits of self centering vises include quick fixturing, increased accuracy, and improved efficiency.
Self-Centering Vises for Improved Machining Accuracy
Kurt Workholding offers self-centering vises in 2.5”, 4” and 6” jaw widths, along with multi-axis models for more complex machining operations. Centering accuracy from minimum to maximum opening is 0.0006” with 0.0002” repeatability.
Both jaws are moveable and feature our patented AngLock® design, which pulls and holds parts down securely and eliminates jaw lift during machining for even greater accuracy. Our self-centering vises include a unique adjustment feature that allows the centerline of the jaws to be set and reset as needed. This is especially useful for aligning centerlines when mounting multiple vises on one machine.
5-Axis Self Centering Vises for Precision Machining Applications
Kurt’s multi-axis SCMX self-centering vises include the same features and provide the same performance as “standard” self-centering models but add a 5-axis design to provide exceptional versatility for advanced CNC machining applications.
Our 5-axis self-centering vises can accommodate workpieces up to 6.5” long and extra tall jaws allow for increased spindle clearance. For machining applications requiring additional precision and versatility, our MaxLock HP 5-axis self-centering vises are available with three different jaw options providing clamping force up to 2,500 lbs.
Order the self-centering vise your application requires, or contact Kurt Workholding for more information.
Self-Centering Vises for Improved Repeatability and Precision
Kurt’s family of self-centering vises includes several standard and 5-axis vise models to meet your machining needs.
Features of Kurt self-centering vises can vary by model, but include:
- Adjustable centerline
- Up to ±0.0002” repeatability, depending on model selected
- Will clamp both O.D. and I.D., depending on model selected
- Chip guards
- 2.5”, 4” and 6” jaw widths
- 80,000-psi ductile iron construction
- Lifetime Iron Clad Warranty
- A full line of vise accessories is available
MaxLock HP 5-Axis Self-Centering Vises
Available in 5”, 7” and 9” lengths with an option of serrated, machinable or dovetail jaws. Provides ±0.0005” repeatability.
5” Self-Centering Vises:
- HP420 MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with serrated jaws
- HP420C MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with machinable jaws
- HP420D MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with dovetail jaws
7” Self-Centering Vises:
- HP440 MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with serrated jaws
- HP440C MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with machinable jaws
- HP440D MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with dovetail jaws
9” Self-Centering Vises:
- HP460 MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with serrated jaws
- HP460C MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with machinable jaws
- HP460D MaxLock 5-axis self-centering vise with dovetail jaws
5-Axis SCMX Self-Centering Vises
Available with 2-1/2” and 4” jaw widths in steel or aluminum. Provides ±0.0002" repeatability. Our options include:
Available in 4” and 6” jaw widths. Provides ±0.0002" repeatability and are offered in the following options:
See individual product listings for additional information and specifications.
The Best Self-Centering Vise for Your Machining Application
Kurt Workholding’s self-centering vises are a prime example of what makes our products the industry standard for machining reliability and precision. Order the self-centering vise you need today, or contact us to learn more.